The Ultimate Guide To The Best Coloring Books For Children
Coloring books have long been a favorite pastime for children. In recent years, they have also seen a resurgence in popularity as a therapeutic and stress-reducing activity for adults. However, coloring books are more than just a fun activity; they provide children with a variety of benefits. In this article, we will discuss the many benefits of coloring books for children, explore the different types of coloring books available, as well as share our top favorites.
*Disclosure: I only recommend products I would use myself, and all opinions expressed here are our own. This post may contain affiliate links that at no additional cost to you; when you buy through the links, we may earn a small commission. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Thanks!
In this post:
- Benefits of Coloring Books for Children
- Different types of Coloring Books
- Best coloring books for children we’ve seen
Benefits of Coloring Books for Children
- Enhances creativity: Coloring books can help children improve their creativity. They can explore different color combinations, patterns, and textures as they color. This can stimulate their imagination and encourage them to think outside the box.
- Improves fine motor skills: Coloring requires children to hold and manipulate a pencil or crayon, which can enhance their fine motor skills. These skills are essential for writing, drawing, and using scissors.
- Develops hand-eye coordination: Coloring can also help children develop hand-eye coordination. They must coordinate their hand movements with visual perception to stay within the lines and create a cohesive image.
- Encourages self-expression: Coloring books can also encourage children to express themselves. They can choose the colors they want to use and create their unique masterpiece. This can help them build confidence and feel proud of their creations.
- Promotes relaxation and mindfulness: Coloring can be a calming activity for children. It can help them focus their attention and relax their mind. This can be especially beneficial for children who may struggle with anxiety or have difficulty sitting still.
Different Types of Coloring Books:
- Traditional Coloring Books: Traditional coloring books are the most common type of coloring book. They typically feature black and white line drawings of a variety of subjects such as animals, nature scenes, popular characters, and more. They are often targeted towards specific age groups, with simpler designs for younger children and more complex designs for older children.
- Educational Coloring Books: Educational coloring books are designed to teach children about different subjects such as science, math, history, and more. They often include fun facts and information to supplement the coloring pages. These types of coloring books can help children learn while having fun.
- Mandala Coloring Books: Mandala coloring books are designed to promote relaxation and mindfulness. Mandala designs are intricate and symmetrical, and coloring them can be a meditative experience. They are often used as a therapeutic tool to reduce stress and anxiety.
- Coloring Storybooks: Coloring storybooks combine storytelling with coloring. Children can read the story and then color the accompanying illustrations. This type of coloring book can help children develop reading comprehension skills while also promoting creativity.
- Paint-by-Number Coloring Books: Paint-by-number coloring books provide a fun twist on traditional coloring books. They feature designs that are divided into sections, with each section numbered and corresponding to a specific color. Children can follow the numbers and colors to create a beautiful finished product.
- Magic Coloring Books: Magic Coloring Books are a unique type of coloring book that uses water to bring the pages to life. These books feature pre-painted pages with black lines that create a design or image. When a child adds water to the page with a paintbrush, the colors underneath the black lines bleed onto the page, allowing the child to easily paint anywhere. Magic Coloring Books are an excellent resource to take on trips or family outings since they don’t require traditional paints or markers, and the mess is minimal. Additionally, the magic effect of seeing the colors appear can be particularly exciting for children, adding an extra level of fun and engagement to the coloring experience.
Best coloring books for children
So after years buying books and printing coloring sheets, I’ve put together a list with our favourite books. Of course, there are many more out there, but these are the ones we’ve had the chance to have around and enjoy. I hope you’ll enjoy them us as much as we did, and that this might be helpful for you.
This book is a traditional coloring book perfect for toddlers learning about the world around them. It contains 100 simple images of everyday objects, animals, fruits, and more, so it’s an excellent resource for helping young children recognize pictures and learn new words. In addition, the book illustrations have bold lines that make it easy for little hands to stay within the lines while coloring. It’s an ideal choice for children up to three years old eager to explore and express their creativity.
This book has illustrations on both sides of the page, so it is best to just use color pencils or crayons to avoid bleeding on the other side.
My Big Fun Coloring Book for Toddlers – The Edu Play Club
This educational coloring book is an excellent tool for toddlers to learn and master fundamental skills and concepts such as counting, shapes, letters, numbers, and animals. It has over 100 cute, large, and simple illustrations, and children will find it easy to stay within the lines because of the thick lines. It also helps them to remain focused and entertained.
Each letter is paired with a unique animal drawing to reinforce letter recognition, and there are plenty of opportunities for letter tracing to help develop fine motor skills. The book also includes funny characters and animals that teach counting and number tracing from 1 to 10. Children can also learn shapes and connect them to familiar objects they can color.
This book has illustrations on both sides of the page, so it is best to just use colored pencils or crayons to avoid bleeding on the other side.
This Color by Numbers book is a hit with us! Its pages are filled with engaging double-spread (mostly) illustrations that will captivate your little one’s attention for hours. Each project offers a unique challenge: use a number code or colored dots to fill in the shapes and bring the pictures to life!
With 22 different projects to choose from, your child will never run out of fun things to do. And don’t worry if you don’t have the exact pen or pencil color – just pick another color and make sure to fill in all the shapes with the same number or colored dot. This book is a great way to stimulate your child’s creativity and imagination while providing endless hours of entertainment!
These books are magical and a must-have for any family on the go. If your children enjoy watercolor painting, they’ll be thrilled with these books! What makes them so special? With just a little water and a paintbrush, the ink under the black lines comes to life and flows onto the page. It’s pure magic, and the results will amaze your children!
We have the Coral Reef book, which features 15 stunning scenes of underwater creatures like clownfish, dolphins, turtles, sharks, seahorses, and jellyfish. The best part? The mechanism is so simple that you can take it anywhere; all you need is water. So whether you’re at a restaurant or on a plane, your children can peacefully paint and create to their hearts’ content.
Pro tip: to prevent water from seeping through to the next page, unfold the flap at the end of the book and place it under the page you’re working on. The last page even includes the names of the reef creatures you’ll find in the book.
These books are recommended for children aged 5 to 8, but my almost 7-year-old daughter has loved it and even taught her 4-year-old brother how to paint. His creations are impressive, and he’s feeling very proud! Check out some of our own stunning pages. These books truly are marvelous and sure to bring joy and wonder to any child’s day.
I recently discovered this lovely kawaii coloring book, and it’s been a great addition home for relaxation and creativity. With 42 super-cute illustrations featuring kawaii animals, food, and magical creatures, this coloring book is the perfect way to reduce stress and awaken your inner artist. It has also inspired my daughter to draw in kawaii style.
Whether a beginner or an experienced colorist, this book suits all ages and skill levels. The high-quality paper can handle all pens, pencils, markers, and watercolor types, making experimenting with different coloring techniques and styles easily.
What I love most about this book is that it’s a great way to celebrate the fun and unique aspect of Japanese kawaii culture. It’s also an excellent gift idea for coloring fans of all ages.
Cute and Playful Patterns is a fantastic coloring book for kids ages 5 and up. It offers 30 whimsical cartoon designs that are printed on single-sided pages to minimize bleed-through, making it perfect for travel and on-the-go coloring. With a variety of designs like quirky patterns, animals, and mandalas, this book is suitable for kids of all ages and makes a great addition to their art supplies collection.
TV Show and movie coloring Books
Getting children to color can be a challenge, but one way to capture their attention is by providing them with books featuring themes they already enjoy. At home, we’ve found success by introducing coloring books based on popular children’s shows like Bluey, Peppa Pig, and Disney movies. These books not only allow our kids to relive their favorite stories and characters, but also offer a screen-free alternative to keep them entertained. Plus, coloring provides a great opportunity for children to express their creativity and develop important fine motor skills. Here are a few that we love or have great reviews:
- Big Backyard: A Coloring Book – With 64 pages to color.
- Peppa Pig: My First Coloring Book
- Crayola Disney Coloring Book, Disney Jr.
- Pinkfong Baby Shark Coloring Book
And you can probably find a coloring book for any interest or show that your little one might like!
The Power of Coloring Books for Children’s Development
Coloring books are a simple yet effective tool that can provide children with a variety of benefits. From enhancing creativity to promoting relaxation, coloring books can be a fun and educational activity for children of all ages. In addition, with the different types of coloring books available, there is sure to be one that will capture your child’s interest and help them develop new skills.
They are great to use at home or on the go. Perfect for trips or having something to keep them entertained when you are in a waiting room. They can get creative with colors, or it might help them to relax and unwind after a complicated day. So next time you’re looking for a fun activity for your child, consider giving them a coloring book.
We’ve used many through the years, and I hope our list can be helpful!
Happy coloring! *
P.S. If you enjoyed this article, you might also enjoy the following 😉